Wednesday

Drink all the coffee!


Coffee has been on my life since I was very little.

Back in Cuba, where I grew up, my grandmother had lots and lots of coffee plants on her backyard. I remember that I would usually just sit and watch her go through the whole process of making coffee -which is kind of amazing, by the way- until one day, she told me to join her.

We would get up early, recollect every mature coffee cherrie at our sight, take the seeds out, put them to dry under the sun and once they were ready, roast them on a huge and hand made charcoal oven. Then, we would take the roasted seeds and grind them -using a hand mill- until the only thing left was coffee powder. After that, my gram would make coffee for everyone in the family -I gotta say, her coffee was the absolute best- and sometimes, even our neighbors would stop by and ask for a small cup of the greatest nectar on earth.

Sadly for me, I stopped helping my abuela do the whole coffee thing the moment a frog jumped on me from one of the plants one afternoon. Honestly, I'm so terrified of those animals that I think it was because of that incident that I also stopped drinking coffee for a while. That didn't last long, though, because I couldn't stay away from it and now I drink coffee everyday and in every variation possible.

My absolute favorite is the mocha frappuccino, although the latte is just as amazing. What's your kind of coffee?

2 comments: